Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Into the second week

I thought I was doing great after the first week. My kids were all into my rules and procedures and for the most part my classes are responsive. I knew it was just a honeymoon week but it seemed they had everything down well enough that we could have a good year together.

Today my advisory class walked in and talked all over each other and myself, no matter how many times I asked them to stop. I think a talk about respect is in order for tomorrow.

Then I had a bunch of mostly boring lessons which is obviously my fault. I tried to make the most of it but then my godawful class came in. They are every one of the most immature students in the 9th grade all stuck in one class. They are terrible, not because they're cursing and fighting, but rather they talk nonstop the entire class and don't pay attention to a damn thing we're doing. Plus the class is 75% boys and the girls stick together like there's no tomorrow. When I split them up for some group work, a girl and a boy got into a fight and after 15 minutes, only one third of the students had any work on their paper.

I need to plan some amazing lessons to grab their attention. But I'm too goddamned tired. I've been sleeping 3-4 hours a night and right now I'm absolutely fried.

No comments: